Compensation for Injuries from a Motor Vehicle Accident

Car accident.

Being involved in a motor vehicle accident can send your world into chaos. Suddenly, you are forced to endure physical suffering, loss of material goods, and loss of income, and those are just a few of the persistent issues that will consume your life.

Understanding how car crash compensation claims work is vital if you want the payment you deserve. This is why you should contact an expert in motor vehicle injury compensation as soon as possible.

How Do I Make a Claim After I am Injured in a Motor Vehicle Accident?

Your first step towards compensation after an accident is to report it to the Insurance Commission of Western Australia. The ICWA will need the following information:

  • date, time, and location of the accident
  • licence plate information of vehicles involved
  • circumstances of the crash
  • names, addresses, and contact numbers of all people involved in the crash and any witnesses

Next, you should contact a lawyer with car crash injury compensation experience. Reach out to No Fee Injury Lawyers, and we can arrange your no-cost no, obligation consultation. Our legal experts will listen to the account of what happened and tell you if they believe your case will be successful. If you decide to work with us, our legal team will walk you through the process of claiming compensation for your injuries as well as general damages.

What are General Damages?

The term general damages refer to losses you sustained because of the accident that are not financial. Several examples of these include:

  • Loss of enjoyment of life
  • Pain and suffering
  • Physical and mental harm
  • Reduction in life expectancy

In Western Australia, there is a minimum threshold determining whether or not car crash compensation claims are applicable. If you are above the minimum threshold, you will be entitled to compensation for general damages because of the car accident. The claim for general damages must exceed $22,000. The payout will not exceed $425,000.

Paramedics rescuing car crash patient.

Can I Get Compensation for My Medical Costs?

Yes, the medical costs you incur from the accident should be covered. These include but are not limited to:

  • ambulance services (emergency transport from the crash to the hospital)
  • cost of travel to and from appointments
  • dental services for the restoration of any damaged or destroyed teeth
  • equipment (hire or purchase) that is required or recommended, including crutches
  • hospital services (emergency treatment at any public or private hospital)
  • medical imaging (including x-rays, CT.CAT scans, and ultrasounds)
  • medical services (visits to the general medical practitioner, specialist, or pathology testing)
  • medications prescribed and provided by the pharmacist
  • rehabilitation services
  • the replacement of medical aids, such as prescription glasses, mobility aids, hearing aids
  • therapy services, including psychological, physiotherapy, massage, podiatry, optometry, osteopathy, and chiropractic

In addition to your medical costs, you may be eligible for other compensation such as,

  • Loss of Past and Future Earnings – You are entitled to lost wages if you were unable to work after the accident. In many cases, you can also be paid for the loss of your future earnings if you cannot work because of your injuries.
  • Loss of Past and Future Superannuation – Your super contributions will be impacted by your ability to work. Your lawyer can determine if you have the evidence needed to receive this compensation.
  • Domestic Assistance – If your injuries prevent you from taking care of essential household duties and caring for children, you may be eligible for payment for professional support services or for a friend or family member who assists you during that time.
  • Future Treatment Expenses – The fact that you may need medical care for months or years after a motor vehicle accident is one reason you should not rush to sign any agreements offered by the insurance company. Some potential future medical expenses include:
      • Gym memberships that are required for rehabilitation
      • Hospital visits
      • Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy or chiropractic services
      • Prescription medication
      • Specialist consultations
      • Specialised equipment
      • Surgery
  • Catastrophic Injuries – As of 2016, all Australian states and territories must ensure that catastrophically injured people in motor vehicle accidents receive proper treatment, care and support. Catastrophic injuries include spinal cord injuries, traumatic brain injuries, amputations, severe burns, and permanent blindness. The compensation does not depend upon who was at fault.

If you sustain injuries after a motor vehicle accident, you should not delay in taking action. You can and should be rightly compensated for your duress. Contact No Fee Injury Lawyers to speak with an expert who can help you get what you deserve. Remember, if we do not win, you do not pay.